- Sponsor: Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr Foundation
- Internal Deadline: May 14, 2020
- Sponsor Deadline: August 1, 2020
- Link: http://www.emallinckrodtfoundation.org/Application.html
The mission of the Foundation is to support early stage investigators engaged in basic biomedical research that has the potential to significantly advance the understanding, diagnosis or treatment of disease. The funds are designed to provide faculty members with support to move the project forward to the point where R01 or other independent funding can be obtained.
Grants are competitively provided to investigators based on their proposals, selected from applicants on an annual basis. Applicants should be in the first to fourth year of their tenure track faculty position and not have current R01 funding. Grants are usually $60,000 and funding commences on October 1.
Please read the full program announcement linked above before preparing your internal application.
- Upper $180,000 USD
The regular grants provide $60,000 per year for a period of up to three years. The grants are not renewable. The Foundation will not fund overhead. Grants will be made and restricted to domestic institutions. Funding for years 2 and 3 is contingent upon approval of a yearly progress report by the applicant submitted via e-mail. These are generally one page summaries of the work in progress. Failure to submit progress reports jeopardizes subsequent funding. A grant is made on the assumption that the recipient will use the funds for the purposes indicated in the applications and in the same institution. If the recipient moves to another institution during the term of the grant, payments may or may not be continued, depending upon reconsideration by the Trustees of the Foundation upon receipt of a written request and justification for transfer of funds. Unexpended funds will be returned to the Foundation at the end of the year for which a grant has been made, unless an extension is requested and justified and approved by the Trustees in writing.
- The funds are designed to provide faculty members who hold M.D. and/or Ph.D. degrees, and who are in the first to fourth year of a tenure-track position, with support to move the project forward to the point where R01 or other independent funding can be obtained. Applicants with current R01 funding should not apply.
- Any domestic biomedical institution, whether solely research or educational, is invited to submit a candidate for the Mallinckrodt Board’s consideration.
An Institution may submit one proposal.
If you are interested in submitting for this program, you must first submit an internal application to firstname.lastname@example.org to the required instructions below.
Internal Applications must include the following:
- A cover page listing
- The name of this funding opportunity and title of your proposal
- Your name, UGA position, home department, email, and UGA contact information
- Collaborator names, positions, and institutions (if any)
- The starting date of your tenure track appointment
- Indicate whether or not you have submitted to this program in the past. If so, please provide a copy of the review at the end of the internal application.
- A (maximum two-page) proposal summary
- One paragraph describing why this proposal should be UGA’s submission (i.e., why it will be the most competitive for this program)
- A five-page NIH biosketch
Limited Submission announcements often generate multiple competing proposals. UGA reviewers judge proposals as they would in any peer review process, so PIs are urged to put their best foot forward. Along with typical criteria, reviewers will evaluate internal proposals based on their fit with the sponsor’s articulated goals and criteria.
Internal Submission Instructions
The above internal application materials should be submitted via email as a single .PDF file to email@example.com by 11:59pm on the internal deadline listed above.
Please submit questions regarding the internal competition to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions directly related to this program, please contact the following program officer:
- Ms. Becki Blankenship, Director
Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Foundation
114 Forest Grove Drive
Glen Carbon, IL 62034
Phone: +1 (618) 520-2977
View our calendar for all Current and Closed Limited Submissions.
Subscribe to our listerv to receive weekly internal competition announcements.
What is a Limited Submission?