The Office of Animal Care and Use (OACU) oversees the University’s use of animals in scientific investigation and instruction, manages the compliance activities of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and administers the research support functions of University Research Animal Resources (URAR).
Announcements and News
8/26/2021: The training requirements for personnel listed on an Animal Use Protocol have recently changed. Sharps Training is now only required once.
3/5/2021: The Reporting Animal Welfare Concerns Poster can be found in the Forms & Tools section of this OACU webpage, where it can be printed to post. This signage must be posted in any area where live animals are taken for research and/or teaching procedures under IACUC purview. If you are responsible for such an area, please ensure that one of these signs is posted in an easily visible location inside the room or facility.
The use of vertebrate animals in research at UGA requires registration, review and approval by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). IACUC review and approval is required to ensure compliance with all regulations, policies and standards that protect animal welfare. All animal use proposals are submitted through Artemis.
For general inquiries please contact our staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Humane Care and Use Policy
UGA maintains a Policy on Humane Care and Use of Animals that declares its compliance with regulations and policies governing use of all vertebrate animals used in research and instruction.
How Do I Report an Animal Welfare Issue?
The University of Georgia is committed to the humane care of the animals used in its research and instructional activities. If you have a question or concern about animal welfare, we urge you to report concerns to your supervisor or to the University’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). UGA’s Policy on Reporting and Investigating Animal Welfare Concerns can be found here.
The identity of persons reporting concerns to the IACUC is held strictly confidential if requested.
One may also report concerns anonymously, through the Anonymous Welfare Concerns Reporting Form or through the UGA Ethics and Compliance Reporting Hotline: 1-877-516-3467.
PDFs function best when downloaded to your computer and opened with Adobe Acrobat.
- Checklist for Projects Using Animals
- Satellite Facility Reporting Form
- Template for Training Documentation
- Reporting Animal Welfare Concerns Poster
- UGA Animal Care Program Disaster/Contingency Plan
- Policy on Clinical Health Records
- Non-Mammals and Mice and Rats
- Non-Mouse or Rat Mammals
- Safety Guidelines for Fieldwork
Anesthesia, Surgery and Post-Anesthetic/Post-Operative Monitoring:
- Animal Housing Locations
- Anesthesia, Survival Surgery and Post-Anesthetic/Post-Operative Monitoring
- AUP Roster Requirements and PI Eligibility
- Changes to an Approved Protocol
- CO2 Euthanasia
- Environmental Enrichment
- Food or Fluid Regulation
- Health Records
- Humane Care and Use of Animals
- Official Records
- Outdated Drugs and Materials
- Physical Restraint
- Post-Inspection Response and Communication
- Preservation of Animals Affected by a Disastrous Event
- Reporting and Investigating Animal Welfare Concerns
- Reporting Unanticipated Outcomes
- Reuse of Animals for Research or Instruction
- Satellite Animal Facilities and Principal Investigator-Provided Husbandry
- Social Housing of Animals
- Space Requirements
- Testing Biological Materials
- Transfers to Non-UGA Institutions
- Volunteers for Research and Instructional Protocols
Relevant Non-IACUC Policies and Guidelines