The large research questions of our time are by their very nature not only interdisciplinary but increasingly complex, requiring the convergence of a broad set of fields, diverse teams, and new partnerships to address.
As noted by the National Academies, these convergent teams can answer new questions, produce more comprehensive knowledge and generate more effective applied solutions. However, the success of these teams is not a given, but requires adoption of evidence-based team science approaches proven to be effective for building, managing, and sustaining successful teams.
Here we provide a set of resources for UGA faculty to help them form new and strengthen existing teams as well as to successfully prepare, plan and execute large center-scale team research proposals and achieve the deep level of integration such proposals require between research, education, a culture of diversity and inclusion, and innovation ecosystem.
- Teaming for Interdisciplinary Research Pre-Seed Program provides early stage developmental funding and support to assist teams in formation and collaboration around critical areas of research expertise or emerging research topics.
- The Leading Large Integrative Research Teams (L2-IRT) Workshop Series is a workshop series first offered in the 2020-21 AY by the Office of Research targeting mid-career faculty with a track record of interdisciplinary research that is designed to help them in taking the next step leading large integrative research teams.
- Major Integrative Proposal Planning (MIPP) Award can provide faculty team leads with time and comprehensive support for planning, development, submission, and launch of large-scale integrative proposals.
- UGA Research Institute (UGARI) Created in 2022, UGARI facilitates and supports research teams of faculty, research staff and students in meeting the needs and requirements of mission agencies and industry such that all participants receive value, long-term relationships are developed, and UGA programs benefit.
For more information on any of the existing or planned programs, please contact Larry Hornak, associate vice president for research, integrative team initiatives, at email@example.com.
Learn more about the teams that Integrative Team Initiatives has supported through pre-seed grants, workshops, and external red team reviews at UGA builds support for effective teams.
Learn more about UGA research team support & success
- Integrative Initiative Planning and Development Support – Alex Aspley Esco, Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org; Larry Hornak, AVP, email@example.com
- Support for Large Integrative Proposal Development and Submission – Jake Maas, Director of the Office of Proposal Enhancement, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Building your Innovation Ecosystem – Crystal Leach, Director of Industry Collaborations, email@example.com
- Change Expanding diversity and building a culture of Inclusion – Dominique Quarles, Ph.D., Director of Diversity and Inclusion, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connecting to clinical and translational resources, Brad Phillips, Director UGA site of Georgia CTSA, email@example.com
- Building and leveraging existing interdisciplinary graduate programs – Meredith Welch-Devine, Asst. Dean, Graduate School, firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources to support your Integrative Team Effort
- Teaming for Interdisciplinary Research, Dorothy Carter and Hayley Trainer
- Team Charter Template, Dorothy Carter and Haley Trainer
- Multi-Team Charter Template, Dorothy Carter
- Collaboration Plan, NCI/NCI Team Science Toolkit
- COALESCE: CTSA Online Assistance for Leveraging the Science of Collaborative Effort for interactive web-based team science modules.
- Ga CTSA Team Science Workshops