The Office of Research Safety provides guidance to UGA faculty, staff, and students on the safe use of chemical agents, radiation safety, and laser safety. The program is committed to safety, health, environmental protection, and compliance based on current government regulations, guidelines, and best practices.
Research Safety Committee
The Research Safety Committee (RSC) guides the development and implementation of campus-wide Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) policies that reduce safety, health, and environmental risks related to research, teaching, and public service laboratories or other related work areas where chemical or physical hazards exist.
Research Safety Policies and Procedures
The Chemical & Laboratory Safety Manual outlines prudent laboratory practices, university policies, and regulatory requirements for working safety in laboratories with chemical hazards at UGA facilities.
Reporting an Incident
- For minor incidents that occur during normal business hours and do not involve injury or property damage, please contact Research Safety at 706-542-5288.
- For major incidents, incidents that occur outside of normal business hours, or that involve injury or property damage, call 911.
Attention UGA Researchers
The Office of Research Safety has recently adopted a new policy governing the disposal of sharps, pointed plastics, and glass (broken and unbroken). This policy is designed to reduce the potential for injuries and near misses when building service workers are removing waste from the laboratories. The effective date of this policy is January 10, 2018. Learn more in the Disposal of sharps, pointed plastics, and glass (broken and unbroken) document.
PDFs function best when downloaded to your computer and opened with Adobe Acrobat.
Signage & Stickers:
- Request Signs & Stickers
- Important Phone Numbers
- Gas Cylinder Tags
- Food Storage Only Sign
- Admittance to Authorized Personnel Only Sign
- Eye Protection Required Sign
Standard Operating Procedures:
Radioactive Materials Permits:
- Advanced Radiation Worker Change
- Possession Limit Change
- Inactive Status or Termination
- Sewer Disposal Change
- Use-Storage Location Change
- Dry Active Waste Container Log
- Sewer Disposal Log
- Liquid Release Evaluation
- Limited Quantity Shipment Form
- Liquid Radioactivity Analysis
- Prenatal Radiation Exposure Guide and Declaration Form
- Dosimetry Request Form
- Exposure History Data Sheet
- Human Medical X-Ray Training Certificate
- Veterinarian Medical X-Ray Training Certificate
- Non-Medical X-Ray Worker Certificate
- Non-Medical X-Ray Quarterly Safety Check
- Non-Medical X-Ray Training Log
Forms & Charts:
Battery Operated Lights for Class 4 Laser Room Doors:
- UGA Laser Safety Manual
- Guidelines for the Safe Alignment of Class 3B and 4 Lasers
- Guidelines for the Safe Use of Lasers
- Primary Causes of Laser Accidents
- Responsibilities of the Laboratory Laser Safety Rep
- Laser Control Measures
- Responsibilities of the UGA Laser Safety Officer
- OSHA 1910, Subpart I: Hazardous Materials
- OSHA Technical Manual, Section III: Chapter 6
- FDA CFR, Title 21, 1040.10: Performance standards for light emitting products, laser products
- FDA CFR, Title 21, 1040.11: Specific purpose laser products
- State of Georgia Laser Laws