At UGA, the postdoctoral experience emphasizes scholarship and continued research training for individuals who have recently completed a doctoral degree. Postdoctoral scholars conduct research with a faculty mentor and contribute to the academic community by enhancing the research and education programs of the university. Appointment as a postdoctoral scholar with both research and official teaching responsibilities includes a set of duties in formal instruction as Instructor of Record.
Postdoctoral scholars bring expertise and creativity that enrich the research environment of the entire university community. UGA strives to provide a stimulating, positive, and constructive experience by emphasizing the mutual commitment and responsibility of the institution, the faculty, and the postdoctoral scholar.
Office of Postdoctoral Affairs responsibilities include:
- Review and approval of all postdoctoral scholar appointments at UGA.
- Development of policies and procedures affecting postdoctoral scholars.
- Collaboration with the University of Georgia Postdoctoral Association (PDA) to provide prospective and current postdoctoral scholars with information and resources that will enhance the postdoctoral experience at UGA via the Postdoc Portal.
Prospective and current postdoctoral scholars can visit the Postdoc Portal to find information and resources that will enhance the postdoctoral experience at UGA.
See the Documents & Resources section below for policies, guidelines, forms and other resources for units and postdocs.
Documents & Resources
PDFs function best when downloaded to your computer and opened with Adobe Acrobat.
- Postdoctoral Hiring Proposal Cover Form
- Request for Salary Action for Postdoc Research Associates
- Template Letter of Offer for Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Template Letter of Teaching Offer for Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Template offer letter for Postdoctoral Research Fellows
- Template offer letter for Postdoctoral Research Fellow Adjuncts
- Educational and Professional Leave Request for Postdocs Form
This program provides support for domestic and foreign travel to national and international conferences to present research.
- Deadlines: Second Tuesdays in August, November, February and May.
- Eligibility: Persons at the University of Georgia officially seated in a Postdoctoral Associate AD, Postdoctoral AC or Postdoctoral Fellow position.
- Program Guidelines
- Apply via UGA’s InfoReady Portal. Select “Postdoctoral Scholar Domestic and Foreign Travel Program” in the list of open competitions on the InfoReady home page. To apply, you will be required to log in to InfoReady using your MyID and password. First time users of UGA’s InfoReady Portal may benefit from viewing the “InfoReady: A new system for UGA limited submissions” Research Matters Live presentation.
- Program Contact: email@example.com.
- Research Matters Live Event – Postdoc Appointments: Beginning, Middle and End. Presented February 16, 2021. Representatives from OPA and Central HR review and provide updates on policies related to postdoc appointments, salary, benefits, promotion, separation/termination and transition to fellowships. Session targeted primarily to faculty advisors and administrative staff who support postdoctoral research appointments. Find the recording and PowerPoint slides in the Research Matters Live Archive.