At UGA, the postdoctoral experience emphasizes scholarship and continued research training for individuals who have recently completed a doctoral degree. Postdoctoral scholars conduct research with a faculty mentor and contribute to the academic community by enhancing the research and education programs of the university. Appointment as a postdoctoral scholar with both research and official teaching responsibilities includes a set of duties in formal instruction as Instructor of Record. Postdoctoral scholars bring expertise and creativity that enrich the research environment of the entire university community. UGA strives to provide a stimulating, positive, and constructive experience by emphasizing the mutual commitment and responsibility of the institution, the faculty, and the postdoctoral scholar.
Prospective and current postdoctoral scholars can visit the Postdoc Portal to find information and resources that will enhance the postdoctoral experience at UGA.
Office of Postdoctoral Affairs responsibilities include:
- Review and approval of all postdoctoral scholar appointments at UGA.
- Development of policies and procedures affecting postdoctoral scholars.
- Collaboration with the University of Georgia Postdoctoral Association (PDA) to provide prospective and current postdoctoral scholars with information and resources that will enhance the postdoctoral experience at UGA via the Postdoc Portal.
Effective December 16, 2018, all postdoctoral positions will be processed and managed through UGAJobs via the “Grad/Research/Student/Temp” position type and OneUSG Connect. Office of Postdoctoral Affairs must review and approve all postdoctoral positions, postings (direct hire/internal and searches) and hiring proposals within UGAJobs as the Sponsored Office. For OPA requirements of postdoctoral positions and appointments, please consult the Policy for Postdoctoral Appointments. For an instructional resource in processing postdoctoral appointments in UGAJobs, please see our office’s Guide for Unit HR Administrators. For technical assistance regarding UGAJobs or OneUSG Connect, please consult the Training Library or contact the appropriate section of the OneSource Service Desk.
Documents & Resources
PDFs function best when downloaded to your computer and opened with Adobe Acrobat.
- Postdoctoral Hiring Proposal Cover Form
- Request for Salary Action for Postdoc Research Associates
- Template Letter of Offer for Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Template Letter of Teaching Offer for Postdoctoral Research Associate
- Template offer letter for Postdoctoral Research Fellows
- Template offer letter for Postdoctoral Research Fellow Adjuncts
- Educational and Professional Leave Request for Postdocs Form
- Research Matters Live Event – Postdoc Appointments: Beginning, Middle and End. Presented February 16, 2021. Representatives from OPA and Central HR review and provide updates on policies related to postdoc appointments, salary, benefits, promotion, separation/termination and transition to fellowships. Session targeted primarily to faculty advisors and administrative staff who support postdoctoral research appointments. Find the recording and PowerPoint slides in the Research Matters Live Archive.