What is a Limited Submission Opportunity?
For certain grant and award opportunities, funding agencies place limits on the number of proposals, applications, or letters of intent that any one university may submit. We refer to these opportunities as Limited Submission Opportunities. In such cases, the Office of Research pre-reviews internal applications to determine which may be submitted on behalf of UGA. This is commonplace practice at research-intensive universities.
Identifying Funding Opportunities
While identifying funding opportunities is primarily the researcher’s responsibility, the Office of Research maintains a calendar of both Current and Closed Limited Submissions, along with full details for each opportunity on the Research Announcements site. Be sure to check these pages frequently as new opportunities are posted as we become aware of them. When you identify a funding opportunity that you think may be limited, check these two pages for an announced internal competition. If your particular opportunity is not already listed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org immediately to verify that the opportunity is limited and to receive instructions on how to proceed.
The Internal Submission Procedure described below for each Limited Submission Opportunity MUST be followed. Any request for a waiver from this procedure must be addressed directly to the Vice President for Research, who will respond to the request.
Internal Submission Procedure
Any PI considering submitting a proposal to a Limited Submission Opportunity is required to:
- Send a brief email with your Notification of Interest (NOI) and intent to apply to email@example.com. This informs the Office of Research as to how many applicants might be vying for the same Limited Submission Opportunity. The Office of Research will then post announcements to the Research Announcements site and Limited Submissions calendar to establish guidelines for an Internal Competition. Email announcements will also be sent to relevant departments.
- Submit an Internal Application by the Internal Competition deadline to compete among UGA colleagues for the Limited Submission Opportunity. Guidelines for the Internal Application can be found in each Internal Competition announcement, and will vary from opportunity to opportunity. At a minimum, the Internal Application will typically include:
- The title and agency name for the specific Limited Submission Opportunity
- The key members of the PI’s team with affiliations
- A short summary of the proposed project
- A description of why the PI thinks his/her proposal will be successful
- Abbreviated CV, résumé, or biosketch for the PI
The Office of Research will notify applicants of the outcome of the internal review as soon as possible. The Office of Research reserves the right to submit the proposal it believes best meets the particular Limited Submission Opportunity and may decline to submit any proposal.
The Office of Research will use the above Internal Submission Procedure for all situations wherein there is a practical amount of time between receipt of the first NOI from an interested faculty member and the date of the funding agency deadline. If the Office of Research is notified of a Limited Submission Opportunity with insufficient time to conduct the Internal Submission Procedure (this may vary based on the details of a given opportunity), an Internal Competition may not be announced and available submission slots may be awarded on a first-come first-served basis.
In cases wherein the above Internal Submission Procedure is followed but no Internal Applications are received prior to the Internal Competition deadline, the Internal Competition will be listed as “OPEN,” and available submission slots may be awarded on a first-come first-served basis.
Failure to Comply
The Office of Research reserves the right to withhold from consideration or withdraw any Limited Submission Opportunity letter of intent, proposal, or application that is unauthorized or fails to comply with these procedures.