In order to improve animal welfare and research outcomes, the IACUC will require specific online training, beginning July 1, 2019, for all persons on protocols that involve rodent surgery and/or general anesthesia.
What researchers need to know about this mandatory training:
- Starting July 1, 2019, training will be required for all personnel on Animal Use Protocols (AUPs) that include survival surgical procedures on rodents and/or general anesthesia of rodents.
- Training validation will be required for approval of new AUPs and Annual Renewals.
- For amendments adding new personnel, the new personnel will need to complete this training to be added to the AUP.
- The required training is the online training module, “LAT 13: Aseptic Technique and Surgical Support and Anesthesia”, in the Professional Education Portal (PEP).
- Individuals only need to complete this training module one time. There will be no expirations or repeat expectations for this course.
This course is already available via PEP for anyone that would like to take this training proactively. You can find the course by searching for “LAT 13” or “surgical support” from the search bar in the upper right corner of the PEP dashboard. Principal investigators can assign this course in PEP to personnel on their AUPs effective immediately. For assistance with assigning training to your personnel, please contact the Office of Research Integrity and Safety Support Services at email@example.com.