Mercury spills are a common occurrence in university laboratories given the various pieces of equipment in which mercury can be found. Thermometers, pressure control devices, certain lamps and even electrodes can all contain mercury. If a spill goes undetected, mercury can be easily tracked to surrounding locations and become extremely difficult and costly to cleanup.
If you notice a mercury spill, immediately block off the area and contact the Office of Research Safety at 706-542-9088. If you have mercury containing equipment that you would like removed from your lab, please contact the Environmental Safety Division at 706-542-5801. They will help you ensure that you are safely and legally disposing of any equipment that contains a hazardous chemical.