The Office of Research (OoR) Faculty Fellows Program was established for the purpose of:
- Building research strategy, development, and administration leadership capacity among faculty;
- Expanding familiarity with the OoR mission, strategic plan, and operations among the faculty; and
- Improving OoR operations through faculty input.
Faculty Fellows work in an OoR unit under the mentorship of that unit’s Associate Vice President or Director. Mission areas include:
- Entrepreneurship and Technology Transfer (https://research.uga.edu/gateway)
- Finance & Human Resources (https://research.uga.edu/bhr)
- Industry/Business Engagement & Economic Development (https://dar.uga.edu/business-engagement/)
- Information Technology (https://research.uga.edu/it/)
- Integrative Activities including Centers and Institutes and Research Development. (https://research.uga.edu/integrative-teams, https://research.uga.edu/centers-institutes, and https://research.uga.edu/proposal-enhancement )
- Internal Grants, Awards, and Research Personnel (https://research.uga.edu/iga and https://research.uga.edu/personnel)
- Research Facilities and Cores (https://research.uga.edu/core-facilities)
- Research Integrity, Compliance and Safety (https://research.uga.edu/integrity)
- Research Security (https://research.uga.edu/research-security)
- Sponsored Project Administration (https://spa.uga.edu)
The specific assignment for the Fellow is developed through discussion with the Vice President for Research (VPR) and OoR leadership based on the specific interest and goals of the faculty Fellow and the needs of the Office of Research.
All individuals with full-time faculty appointments are eligible to serve as OoR Faculty Fellows. Fellows are expected to dedicate adequate time to the program in order to complete a meaningful assignment impactful for both the Fellow and the OoR. Fellows must continue to meet the other responsibilities of their academic appointments during their fellowship, including continuing to teach, pursue their scholarship, creative works, or laboratory research and reasonable service commitments to their department/college and to the University. Fellows will receive $10,000 in research support funds for a full year of participation in the program. These funds may be used for non-personnel support of the Fellow’s academic program and must be used within the fiscal year awarded.
Fellow Appointments are for, at most, one academic/fiscal year with the possibility of renewal for a second year pending mutual agreement of the Fellow and the VPR.
2023-2024 Academic Year Program
Up to two Fellows will be selected for the 2023-24 academic year. Applications for all mission areas will be considered; however, faculty members with Integrative Activities mission area interest are particularly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Faculty wishing to be considered for the 2023/24 academic/fiscal year should apply via the InfoReady portal at this link. Applications include submission of an abbreviated CV and a one-to-two-page letter of interest by April 17, 2023 at 5 p.m. Letters of Interest should specify the applicant’s:
- primary areas of interest in the Office of Research and/or specific initiatives of interest,
- prior administrative and leadership experience,
- long term career goals and how the Faculty Fellows program can contribute to those goals.
Relevant Unit Lead/Department Head or Dean letters of support are also required, quantifying the percent effort support by the unit to participate.