Strengthen your proposal writing skills with guidance directly from federal agencies. Visit our Boilerplate, Templates, & Tools page for resources that will help you submit a complete, competitive proposal.
Core Guidance & Policies
- 2018 General Instructions for NIH and Other PHS Agencies (use for due dates on and after January 25, 2018)
- NIH: Write Application. A thorough guide to preparing your NIH proposal from start to finish.
- New: Guidance on Rigor and Reproducibility
Other NIH Resources
- NIAID: Prepare Your Application. This proposal preparation and writing guide includes sample grant applications. Applicants to NIAID and many other NIH Centers and Institutes will find it a useful resource.
- Center for Scientific Review: For Applicants. Resources that give an inside look at how scientists from across the country review NIH grant applications for scientific and technical merit.
- All About Grants: Podcasts from NIH. A series of podcasts from the NIH Office of Extramural Research (OER) provides insights on grant topics for investigators, fellows, students, research administrators, and others. Transcripts of the presentations also are available. New topics continue to be made available.
- 2018 Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG 18-1) (for proposals due or submitted on or after January 29, 2018)
- NSF Merit Review. Helps you to better understand the NSF merit review process as well as identify resources for additional information (including applicable chapters in the GPG).
- NSF CAREER Awards
- Broader Impacts