Strengthen your proposal writing skills with guidance from federal agencies, foundations, and grant writing experts. Visit our Proposal Templates & Tools page for resources that will help you submit a complete, competitive proposal.
Core Guidance & Policies
- 2018 General Instructions for NIH and Other PHS Agencies (use for due dates on and after January 25, 2018)
- NIH: Write Application. A thorough guide to preparing your NIH proposal from start to finish.
- NIH Grants. Comprehensive portals to information, including by stages of grant applications, by audience, by science area, and more.
- New and Early Stage Investigator Policies
- New: Guidance on Rigor and Reproducibility
Grantwriting Tips & Samples
- Grant Writing Tips Sheets
- Sample R01 and R21 Applications and Summary Statements. See four successful R01 and R21 applications, written in the shorter NIH format. For R01s, each example includes Summary Statement, Research Plan and Full Application. For R21s, each example includes Summary Statement and Full Application.
- Writing R21s. NIAID offers tips on writing exploratory/developmental research grants known as R21’s, including knowing when they are appropriate.
Other NIH Resources
- NIAID’s List of Foundations and Other Funding Sources. Grant funding opportunities outside NIH that cover the same areas of science as the NIAID Funding Opportunities List.
- Center for Scientific Review. Resources, including videos, that give an inside look at how scientists from across the country review NIH grant applications for scientific and technical merit.
- All About Grants: Podcasts from NIH. A series of podcasts from the NIH Office of Extramural Research (OER) provides insights on grant topics for investigators, fellows, students, research administrators, and others. Transcripts of the presentations also are available. New topics continue to be made available.
- 2018 Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG 18-1) (for proposals due or submitted on or after January 29, 2018)
- NSF Merit Review. Helps you to better understand the NSF merit review process as well as identify resources for additional information (including applicable chapters in the GPG).
- NSF CAREER Awards
- Broader Impacts
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ): Funding & Grants
- Department of Energy (DOE): Grant Policy & Guidance
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA): Understanding, Managing, and Applying for EPA Grants
- USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA): Grants Process
- Social Science Research Council (SSRC): The Art of Writing Proposals: Some Candid Suggestions for Applicants to Social Science Research Council Competitions