Competitive internal grants support initial work by early career faculty and research in new areas of endeavor, and travel to foreign conferences and symposia.
Competitive Research Grants: Internal
The Faculty Research Grants (FRG) are conducted in two separate competitions in support of research and scholarship by faculty. Both programs utilize the same guidelines and application . Also, be sure to read the Tips for FRG Applicants. (The Willson Center also administers the Research Clusters Grant competition funded by OVPR. Separate guidelines and application are available at the Willson Center website.)
- Faculty Research Grant competitions:
- Junior Faculty Research Grants in the Sciences
- Junior and Senior Faculty Research Grants in the Humanities and Arts
- Deadline for both FRG competitions: First Tuesday in February (These awards will now be on a fiscal year cycle instead of a calendar year cycle. Awarded grants start July 1.)
- Eligibility: FRGs in the Sciences are designed for early career faculty (instructors, assistant professors and assistant research scientists); FRGs in the Humanities and Arts fund junior and senior faculty.
- Amounts: Average grants are in the $3,000 – $10,000 range for faculty research grants.
- Deadlines: Normally, second Tuesdays in January, March, June and October.
- Eligibility: Faculty members, research professionals, postdoctoral associates, and graduate students are eligible. All Adjunct professors and Non-UGA paid employees are ineligible.
- Amount: The lowest round-trip airfare available
Not currently available
The explicit goal of the Interdisciplinary Proposal Development (IPD) program is to support cross-disciplinary teams of faculty, perhaps with partners from other research institutions, government or private sector, in their efforts to prepare competitive proposals for grand challenge-type multi-investigator/multi-institution grants. These grants are jointly sponsored by Office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost and the Office of the Vice President for Research.
- Required Letter of Intent – March 1, 2014
- Full Proposal – March 14, 2014
- Amount: Maximum awards will be $75,000 but typical awards will be at or below $50,000
- Deadline: First Wednesday in October
- Eligibility: Full and part-time faculty, USDA adjunct positions, and permanent research scientists in the University’s “Research Professionals” classification system. Visiting faculty and postdoctoral research associates are ineligible.
- Amount: No upper limit, however funding proposals with large budgets (above $60,000) must have unusually strong justification.
- Contact: Technology Commercialization Office:email@example.com
Competitive Research Grants: Inter-Institutional
The goal of the University of Georgia (UGA) – Georgia Regents University (GRU) Seed Funding Program is to explicitly encourage competitive extramural grant proposals involving personnel from both institutions (the PI may be at either institution).
These funds are being distributed in order to stimulate new collaborative projects between UGA and GRU that subsequently lead to new external grants, and applicants should keep this overriding goal in mind. Applicants and successful recipients must commit to submitting applications to external funding agencies by the specified deadlines.
Proposals are invited from a broad range of disciplines. Interdisciplinary or translational proposals, in particular, are encouraged.
- Deadline: Full Proposal – May 1, 2015
- Deadlines: The next to last Friday of October (in 2015, October 23) – UPDATE: The deadline for 2015 has been extended to Friday, November 6, 2015.
- Eligibility: To be eligible for this competition, UGA and Liverpool faculty members must have initial conversations about the potential collaboration and work together on a single short proposal for this seed grant competition.
- Amount: The funds will involve equal shares from both institutions of amounts up to $9000 / £5300 total. For more details on the distribution of the grant funds, see the full guidelines.
* Not currently available