The University of Georgia Research Foundation funds competitive internal awards for UGA Faculty and graduate students to recognize outstanding research accomplishments and creative achievement. Research accomplishments are recognized each spring at an annual Research Awards Banquet.
Internal Competitive Research Awards
Outstanding contributions to research are recognized by the University of Georgia Research Foundation, Inc. through the Creative Research Awards program. The three awards target contributions in different areas of research/scholarship.
- Deadlines: First Tuesday in November
- Eligibility: Nominees must have completed at least five years of service at the University of Georgia.
- Award: $2,500 award and framed print
- Deadline: First Tuesday in November
- Eligibility: Faculty at the University of Georgia.
- Award: $500 award and a bronze medallion designed by the late William J. Thompson, a former professor in the Lamar Dodd School of Art.
- Deadline: All nominations should be submitted to the appropriate dean by the College’s set deadline. All nominations should be submitted to the Office of the Vice President for Research by noon on November 14.
- Eligibility: Nominees must be at least ten years beyond the date of the terminal academic degree and must have the endorsement of the appropriate department head and dean.
- Amounts: A one-time permanent increase in base salary of $7,000 in addition to a $5,000 account each year for a 5-year period to be used in any appropriate way to support scholarship.
- Eligibility: Must be a UGA faculty member who has started a company based on research originated at UGA.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit demonstrated by a clear vision and passion, overcoming adversity and obstacles while remaining committed to calculated risk-taking.
- Financial Performance displayed by a return on equities, revenues, profitability, and growth indicative of long-term sustainability.
- Strategic Direction provided by strong strategic alliances and the assembly of a talented team.
- Economic Impact measured in terms of job creation and economic contributions to the region.
- Innovation defined as a new approach or technology capable of dramatically changing an industry.
- Personal Influence acting as an ambassador on and off campus for the commercialization of research and the culture of innovation at UGA.
- Educational Opportunities provided to both undergraduate and graduate students for appropriate participation in the company’s activities.
- Award: Winner is presented with an engraved crystal award and commendations from the Innovation Gateway management team.
- Selection Process: Selection is made by February 1 of the calendar year.
- Eligibility: Must be a UGA faculty member, including those with an Emeritus or other appointment, or if retired, whose inventions were developed in the course of their earlier, regular faculty appointment at UGA.
- Innovativeness of the invention
- Originality and uniqueness of the invention
- Impact of the invention on the community or related industry sector
- Has generated research revenue to UGA, or the invention and products have attracted distinction for UGA within the related industry sector
- Award: Winner is presented with an engraved crystal award.
- Selection Process: Technology Commercialization Office selects the winner.
- Deadline: First Tuesday in November.
- Eligibility: Tenure-track faculty at the University of Georgia who have successfully passed their third-year review but have not yet been tenured.
- Award: $2,000 award.
In memory of Robert C. Anderson, former Vice President for Research and President of UGARF for excellence in research to a recent graduate of the UGA Graduate School.
- Deadline: First Tuesday in November
- Eligibility: Recent graduate of the UGA Graduate School
- Award: $1,000 honorarium
An academic year scholarship awarded to a graduate student whose dissertation/thesis research reflects state-of-the-art utilization of computer and/or networking technology in the sciences or creative arts. In memory of Dr. James L. Carmon, a UGA faculty member for 36 years, who helped advance computer research and development at the university.
- Deadline: Third Tuesday in September
- Eligibility: Full-time UGA graduate students in good standing
- Award: $4,000 stipend
Funded and administered by the Graduate School, this award recognizes the quality and significance of graduate student research in five areas: Fine Arts; Humanities and Letters; Life Sciences; Mathematics and Physical Sciences; and Professional and Applied Studies. Awardees are recognized at the annual UGARF awards banquet.
- Deadline: First Friday in November
- Nomination by: Department Head or Graduate Coordinator
- Selection Process: Faculty Committee appointed by the Dean of the Graduate School
This award recognizes outstanding research contributions by a postdoctoral scholar.
- Eligibility: Nominees must occupy a postdoctoral research scholar position at UGA at the date of nomination and must be nominated for research carried out while in that position.
- Award: $2,000 award