Activities related to pre- and pending awards, and account set up.
Activities Prior to Award
Prior to an award being officially made to the University, there is the possibility that the PI, the Sponsor, or the University could make one of a number of different administrative requests.
- Pre-Award – On federal awards, if notification of an award has been received, but the official project start date has yet to arrive, the PI may request that an account be opened up to 90 days prior to the official start date. The ability to honor this request is contingent upon the sponsoring agency and the terms of the award.The Pre-Award FDP Matrix is currently being updated to provide Uniform Guidance. To request a pre-award account, complete the Administrative Action Request Form , obtain approval from your college or department head, and then submit to your SPA Representative.
- Pending Award – On all awards, if notification of an award has been received, but official award documentation has yet to arrive, the PI may request an account be opened for the project. The start date of the account must match the start date of the official award. To request a pending-award account, complete the Administrative Action Request Form , obtain approval from your college or department head, and then submit to your SPA Representative.
- Detailed Budget – If the official award notice from the sponsor indicates that the funding amount provided is different than those proposed within the original budget, OSP will request a detailed budget that matches the amount to be awarded by the sponsor. This is a fundamental step in setting up your account.
- Updated Transmittal – If the award is for a non-competing increment of funding (e.g., year 2 out of 5 years for the project), then SPA will request that you update your transmittal data in the Portal in order to update Conflict of Interest Disclosure, if that disclosure is more than 1 year old. This is a requirement of the University’s Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Compliance Documentation – if your project involves Animal Use, Human Subjects, or Biosafety Compliance, SPA will require that you submit a copy of your protocol approval if the approved protocol currently on file is greater than one year old.
Pre-Award and Pending Award FAQs
A pre-award or pending award can be requested by the PI prior to an award being officially made, if notification of an award has been received.
- A pre-award allows you to spend before the anticipated award budget period and can be used on federal awards only. If notification of an award has been received, but the official project start date has yet to arrive, the PI may request that an account be opened up to 90 days prior to the official start date. Refer to the federal RTC (Research Terms and Conditions) matrix to see if your sponsor allows pre-award costs or ask your SPA Representative.
- A pending award allows spending within the anticipated award budget period and can be used on any type of award, if notification of an award has been received, but official award documentation has yet to arrive.
- With a pre-award, you have access to the funds 90 days in advance of the start date of the project.
- A pending award gives you access to the funds for 90 days beginning on the actual/anticipated start date of the project.
- In order to set up either type of award, an Administrative Action Request Form must be completed.
- The form must be signed by the PI, Department Head, and Dean/Director before submission to Sponsored Projects Administration (SPA). SPA must have a complete proposal, including Transmittal Form, detailed budget, budget justification, and compliance approval on file in order to process a pre-award or pending award.
- Yes. They can be set-up for up to 25% of the anticipated yearly award amount and will expire after 90 days.
- A non-restricted account number is required for unallowable expenses. This number will be used to cover any charges that are incurred prior to the approved start date of the award, if the project is not funded, or if there are charges made to the account that are not allowable.
- Multiple pending awards can be requested. However, it is important to note that the more pending awards that are requested/approved, the more risk to the department. All charges incurred on a pre-award/pending award must be covered by the department in the event the project is not ultimately funded.
- If, after the original 90 days, you need additional time but not additional money, a request for time only can be submitted.
- In order to set-up a pre-award for more than 90 days, prior approval is required from the Sponsor.
Once all of the UGA requirements detailed within Activities Prior to Award are completed, the proposal and award information will be transmitted to your SPA Award Representative for account setup. If there are questions about the account setup process, please contact your SPA Award Representative. If there are to be any subcontracts issued from the sponsored funding, your SPA Award Negotiator will process these subcontracts after an account number is established by your SPA Award Representative and provided to your SPA Award Negotiator. NOTE: Sometimes departments and PIs receive award documents rather than SPA. The PI should immediately forward any Award documents that they receive to their Pre-Award SPA representative.