- Sponsor: National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Internal Deadline: July 1, 2020
- Sponsor LOI Deadline: September 1, 2020
- Sponsor Deadline: October 1, 2020
- Link: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-AG-21-009.html
This Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) invites applications for the Artificial Intelligence and Technology Collaboratories (AITC) for Aging Research program. The AITC program will serve as a national resource to promote the development and implementation of artificial intelligence approaches and technology through demonstration projects to improve care and health outcomes for older Americans, including persons with dementia (PWD) and their caregivers.
The specific objectives of the AITC program are as follows: 1) serve as a national resource to promote the development and implementation of artificial intelligence approaches and technology through demonstration projects to improve care and health outcomes for older Americans, including persons with dementia (PWD) and their caregivers; 2) support pilot studies to develop and implement artificial intelligence approaches and technology across the country; 3) develop and disseminate technical and policy guidelines and best practices for effectively incorporating artificial intelligence approaches and technology for older Americans, in partnership with private industry, angel investors, venture capital firms, and healthcare systems; 4) work collaboratively with researchers across private industry, venture capital firms, the healthcare sector, and the NIA Office of Small Business Research to provide technical support for scaling up pilot studies; and 5) disseminate best practices for engaging stakeholders in research by (a) incorporating stakeholders into the research and development process and (b) conducting ethical research on how to incorporate artificial intelligence approaches and technology development in the special circumstances of individuals experiencing cognitive decline/impairment.
Please read the full program announcement before preparing your internal application.
- Application budgets are limited to $2.5 million in direct costs per year.
- The maximum project period is 5 years.
- The National Institute on Aging (NIA) intends to commit $7 million in FY 2021 to fund 2 awards.
- Any individual(s) with the skills, knowledge, and resources necessary to carry out the proposed research as the Program Director(s)/Principal Investigator(s) (PD(s)/PI(s)) is invited to work with his/her organization to develop an application for support. Individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic groups as well as individuals with disabilities are always encouraged to apply for NIH support.
- Detailed application review criteria can be found here.
An Institution may submit one proposal.
If you are interested in submitting for this program, you must first submit an internal application to firstname.lastname@example.org according to the required instructions below.
Internal Applications must include the following:
- A cover page listing
- The name of this funding opportunity and title of your proposal
- Your name, UGA position, home department, email, and UGA contact information
- Collaborator names, positions, and institutions (if any)
- Indicate whether or not you have submitted to this program in the past. If so, please provide a copy of the review at the end of the internal application.
- A (maximum two-page) proposal summary that addresses the program’s specific objectives and selection criteria.
- One paragraph describing why this proposal should be UGA’s submission (i.e., why it will be the most competitive for this program)
- Curriculum vitae
Limited Submission announcements often generate multiple competing proposals. UGA reviewers judge proposals as they would in any peer review process, so PIs are urged to put their best foot forward. Along with typical criteria, reviewers will evaluate internal proposals based on their fit with the sponsor’s articulated goals and criteria.
Internal Submission Instructions
The above internal application materials should be submitted via email as a single .PDF file to email@example.com by the internal deadline listed above.
Please submit questions regarding the internal competition to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions directly related to this program, please contact the following program officers:
Partha Bhattacharyya, Ph.D.
National Institute on Aging (NIA)
View our calendar for all Current and Closed Limited Submissions.
Subscribe to our listerv to receive weekly internal competition announcements.
What is a Limited Submission?