- Sponsor: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Internal Deadline: January 6, 2020
- Sponsor Deadline: February 21, 2020
- Link: https://www.hrsa.gov/ruralhealth/programopportunities/fundingopportunities/?id=8bda27bf-8979-4d81-ad4e-5401e8a939f0
This notice announces the opportunity to apply for funding under the Rural Health Research Center (RHRC) Program. The purpose of this cooperative agreement is to support high-quality, impartial, policy-relevant research to assist health care providers and decision/policy-makers at the federal, state and local levels in better understanding the challenges faced by rural communities and in designing policies to improve health care access and population health. RHRC recipients will conduct policy-oriented health services research, update trend analyses and existing research, and conduct necessary literature reviews on rural issues and synthesize the issues into publically available policy briefs designed to be easily understood by a non-technical audience. In addition to primary and secondary research, the applicant must be willing and able to conduct literature syntheses and update existing research to produce timely and relevant information. The ratio of original research to other needed projects will be reviewed by the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy (FORHP) and the final ratio will be negotiated between the recipients and the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy.
The four-year RHRC Program awards are designed to support research centers with specific rural health research areas of concentration. The topic(s) of concentration must be policy-relevant and of enduring interest and importance to rural providers, rural stakeholders, policy makers and/or rural communities. A goal of the RHRC Program is to produce new information, through the research activities supported by this cooperative agreement, which can be applied in ways that directly inform improvements in access to health care and population health for rural America. This cooperative agreement program will support health services research projects and will exclude clinical/biomedical research and the expenditure of funds for delivery of health care services.
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) defines the term “health services research” as research that examines “how people get access to health care, how much care costs, and what happens to patients as a result of this care.” The main goals of health services research are to “identify the most effective ways to organize, manage, finance, and deliver high quality care; reduce medical errors, and improve patient safety.”
Please read the full program announcement before preparing your internal application.
- HRSA expects approximately $4,900,000 to be available annually to fund seven recipients. You may apply for a ceiling amount of up to $700,000 total cost (includes both direct and indirect, facilities and administrative costs) per year. The period of performance is September 1, 2020 through August 31, 2024 (4 years). Funding beyond the first year is subject to the availability of appropriated funds for Rural Health Research Center Program in subsequent fiscal years, satisfactory recipient performance, and a decision that continued funding is in the best interest of the Federal Government.
- Eligible applicants include domestic public or private, non-profit entities. Domestic faithbased and community-based organizations, tribes, and tribal organizations are also eligible to apply.
Detailed selection criteria can be found on page 18 of the NOFO.
- Evaluative Measures
- Support Requested
An Institution may submit one proposal.
If you are interested in submitting for this program, you must first submit an internal application to firstname.lastname@example.org according to the required instructions below.
Internal Applications must include the following:
- A cover page listing
- The name of this funding opportunity and title of your proposal
- Your name, UGA position, home department, email, and UGA contact information
- Collaborator names, positions, and institutions (if any)
- Indicate whether or not you have submitted to this program in the past. If so, please provide a copy of the review at the end of the internal application.
- A (maximum two-page) proposal summary that addresses the program’s specific selection criteria.
- One paragraph describing why this proposal should be UGA’s submission (i.e., why it will be the most competitive for this program)
- A two-page Curriculum vitae
Limited Submission announcements often generate multiple competing proposals. UGA reviewers judge proposals as they would in any peer review process, so PIs are urged to put their best foot forward. Along with typical criteria, reviewers will evaluate internal proposals based on their fit with the sponsor’s articulated goals and criteria.
Internal Submission Instructions
The above internal application materials should be submitted via email as a single .PDF file to email@example.com by the internal deadline listed above.
Please submit questions regarding the internal competition to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions directly related to this program, please contact the following program officers:
- Jennifer Burges
- Phone: (301)945-3985
View our calendar for all Current and Closed Limited
Subscribe to our listerv to receive weekly internal competition announcements.
What is a Limited Submission?