Joining the Data Curation and Data Management (DCDM) team at the National Transportation Library (NTL), the selected participant will be offered an opportunity to gain hands-on learning and skills in data management and data curation best practices, relating to transportation data, including aviation data produced by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Bureau of Transportation Statistics offices and funded researchers. The Fellow will learn to create and evaluate data management plans; and craft data curation standards, operating plans and policies. The Fellow will learn how to catalog datasets for preservation, conduct data format migration and be exposed to other data services; all within the context of providing access to an entire research or statistical package which will contain data and reports.
Under the guidance of a mentor, opportunities to gain skills and experience may include:
- Applying data management best practices to high-value transportation datasets, including aviation data;
- Using national and international standards to author metadata documentation;
- Programmatically minting persistent identifiers for datasets;
- Migrating and curating legacy datasets;
- Documenting and cataloging data packages;
- Operating a digital repository;
- Engaging in data management and curation outreach across the US DOT
For a full description of this opportunity and to submit your application, visithttps://www.zintellect.com/Opportunity/Details/DOT2018-07. If you have any questions, please send an email to USDOT@orau.org.