The Iranian Organization for Science and Technology’s (IROST) annual Khwarizmi International Award (KIA) seeks to recognize the efforts made by researchers, innovators and inventors from all over the world and to appreciate their invaluable achievements and contributions to various fields of science and technology.
The Khwarizmi International Award is named in memory of the achievements of Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi, the Iranian mathematician and astronomer.
Deadline: November 20, 2018
Apply: Online Application
Fields of Participation
- Agriculture & Natural Resources
- Animal Sciences & Veterinary Medicine
- Basic Sciences
- Basic Medical Sciences
- Chemical Technology
- Civil Engineering
- Electronic and Computer
- Green Technology
- Industry and Technology Management
- Information Technology
- Metallurgy & New Energies
- Medical Sciences
The Khwarizmi International Award shall consist of:
- An engraved Trophy
- A certificate, the certificate shall bear the inscription of the awardee’s contributions, and the signature of H. E. the President of the I. Rep. of Iran.
- A certificate signed by the chairman of the KIA
- A cash prize of up to US Dollars $7,000.
- Five-day academic visit to the I. Rep.of Iran, including the delivery of lectures in different scientific institutions.
- International Organizations Sponsors Special Prizes
- International organizations grant special prizes to the KIA Laureates.
- The selection is made by the KIA Grand Jury according to criteria fixed and determined by the International Sponsors.
- The candidature is submitted to the International Sponsors, for approval, before the official announcement.
All completed candidatures submitted to the KIA go through the following evaluation process:
- Applications are directed to the Secretariat for registration.
- Applications sent after the deadline are kept for the next KIA Session.
- Incomplete applications, including requested documents, are eliminated.
- Applications are distributed according to their fields of participation, to the Scientific Committees.
- Scientific Committees review every application. Candidates maybe contacted for further information.
- Scientific Committees submit their recommendations and the names of the finalists to the Grand Jury for final evaluation.
- The Grand Jury meets in person to discuss the applications and select the KIA Laureates per Scientific Committees.
- The final decision is unanimous
- During the second week of January*, the Secretariat contacts the KIA Laureates by phone and by E-mail to make the necessary arrangements for the KIA Laureates to attend the award ceremony.
- The names of the KIA Laureates will be announced during the Award Ceremony taking place in Tehran, during the first week of February, of each year*,
- In February*, the list of the KIA Laureates is compiled for publication and announced in the Khwarizmi International Award website.
- Candidates are kindly invited to check the site on that time of the year.*
- The Chairman
- The Chairman of the KIA is appointed by the Minister of Science, Research and Technology.
- The Grand Jury
- The Grand Jury for the Khwarizmi International Award consists of eminent scientists appointed by the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology.
- The Grand Jury members are appointed for a period of two years and can be reappointed.
- The Grand Jury members are not necessarily scientifically affiliated to the Iranian Research Organization for Science and Technology (IROST).
- The decision of the Grand Jury shall be final and non-appealable and no correspondence will be entered into.
*(Dates submitted here, are to be reviewed each year, please refer to the Key Dates Section)
For questions or more information, contact the KIA program office at firstname.lastname@example.org.