- Sponsor: United States Department of Agriculture
- Internal Deadline: February 17, 2020
- Sponsor Deadlines
- Research and Extension Experiences for Undergraduates (REEU): April 7, 2020
- Professional Development for Agricultural Literacy: April 28, 2020
- Agricultural Workforce Training Grants: May 26, 2020
- Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships (NOT LIMITED): June 16, 2020
- Link: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=314956
The Agriculture and Food Research Initiative (AFRI) is America’s flagship competitive grants program that provides funding for fundamental and applied research, education, and extension projects in the food and agricultural sciences. In FY 2019 and FY 2020, the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) requests applications for the AFRI’s Education and Workforce Development (EWD) Program areas to support:
- professional development opportunities for K-14 educational professionals;
- workforce training at community, junior, and technical colleges;
- training of undergraduate students in research and extension; and
- fellowships for predoctoral candidates and postdoctoral scholars.
Please read the full program announcement before preparing your internal application.
- Professional Development for Agricultural
- Budgets for Standard Grants and Strengthening Standard Grants must not exceed $300,000 total per project (including indirect costs) for project periods of up to four years.
- Agricultural Workforce Training Grants
- Budgets for Standard Grants and Strengthening Standard Grants must not exceed $500,000 total per project (including indirect costs) for project periods of up to five years.
- Research and Extension Experiences for
- Budgets, including indirect costs, for both Standard Grants and Strengthening Standard Grants must not exceed $400,000 total per project for project periods of four years, or $500,000 total per project for project periods of five years.
- Predoctoral Fellowships
- Predoctoral Fellowship requests, including institutional allowance, must not exceed $180,000 total per project for project periods of up to three years.
- Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Postdoctoral Fellowship requests, including institutional allowance, must not exceed $165,000 total per project for project periods of up to two years.
- Eligibility is linked to the project type as specified in the complete notice.
An Institution may submit a maximum of 3 grant applications per project area, with a limit of one award per lead institution per project area. The Predoctoral and Postdoctoral fellowships do not have an institutional limit, therefore, internal applications for these programs are not required.
If you are interested in submitting for this program, you must first submit an internal application to firstname.lastname@example.org according to the required instructions below.
Internal Applications must include the following:
- A cover page listing
- The name of this funding opportunity and title of your proposal
- Your name, UGA position, home department, email, and UGA contact information
- Collaborator names, positions, and institutions (if any)
- The Program Area (Professional Development for Agricultural Literacy, Agricultural Workforce Training Grants, OR REEU)
- Indicate whether or not you have submitted to this program in the past. If so, please provide a copy of the review at the end of the internal application.
- A (maximum two-page) proposal summary that addresses the program’s specific selection criteria.
- One paragraph describing why this proposal should be UGA’s submission (i.e., why it will be the most competitive for this program)
- Curriculum vitae
Limited Submission announcements often generate multiple competing proposals. UGA reviewers judge proposals as they would in any peer review process, so PIs are urged to put their best foot forward. Along with typical criteria, reviewers will evaluate internal proposals based on their fit with the sponsor’s articulated goals and criteria.
Internal Submission Instructions
The above internal application materials should be submitted via email as a single .PDF file to email@example.com by 11:59pm on the internal deadline listed above.
Please submit questions regarding the internal competition to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions directly related to this program, please contact the following program officers:
- Ray A. Ali
- (202) 720-2727
View our calendar for all Current and Closed Limited Submissions.
Subscribe to our listerv to receive weekly internal competition announcements.
What is a Limited Submission?