The Franklin Institute seeks nominations for the 2018 Bower Award and Prize for Achievement in Science of individuals who have made significant contributions to our understanding or the development of genome editing and/or its applications.
Nominations may recognize contributions including, but not limited to:
- the discovery/elucidation of genome editing mechanisms such as those involving CRISPR, TALENs, or zinc finger nucleases;
- genome editing tool development; or
- genome editing for basic research or applied outcomes in a variety of systems (e.g. for crop improvement or medical therapeutics).
Nominations must clearly indicate the scientific impact of the nominee’s work, whether conceptual, technical, or integrative.
This award is considered Prestigious by the National Research Council (NRC).
- Theme: Genome Editing
- Prize: $250,000 USD
- LOI Deadline (optional but recommended): April 30, 2017
- Deadline for Submissions: May 31, 2017
- Link: https://www.fi.edu/bower-award-prize-achievement-science
- This is an international competition for individuals who have made significant contributions to our understanding or the development of genome editing and/or its applications.
- This award and prize must be presented to an individual, as specified by the will of Henry Bower.
- Candidates must be living, and the winner must participate in The Franklin Institute Awards Week programs, to be held in April 2018 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Self-nominations are accepted.
An email of intent to nominate sent to email@example.com by April 30, 2017 is appreciated.
Nominations must be submitted in English and must include:
- Name and contact information of nominee
- Name and contact information of nominator
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae and bibliography of significant and relevant publications
- Proposed citation limited to 50 words
- Narrative statement describing the nominee’s qualifications for the award
- Four confidential letters of support requested by the nominator, sent directly to The Franklin Institute Awards Office
- Deadline for completed nominations is May 31, 2017
All nominations and supporting letters should be mailed or emailed to:
Director of the Awards Program
The Franklin Institute
222 North 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-1194
For questions or more information, call or email the Franklin Institute at 215-448-1200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like assistance with assembling an application for this award, please contact Lauren Sisko in the Office of Research at email@example.com.