- Sponsor: Foundation for Food and Agriculture Research (FFAR)
- Internal Deadline: February 9, 2017
- Agency Nominations Deadline: February 28, 2017
- Agency Full Proposal Deadline: April 21, 2017
- Link: http://foundationfar.org/new-innovator/
The Foundation for Food and Agricultural Research (FFAR) seeks nominations for its New Innovator in Food and Agriculture Research Award. With this program, FFAR intends to support and promote the future generation of exceptionally talented and creative new faculty who are conducting critical research and establishing research programs that will lead to expanded availability of food and facilitate the global practice of sustainable agriculture as the world’s population grows to more than 9 billion people by the year 2050. With this award, FFAR seeks to promote career advancement of highly creative and promising new scientists who intend to make a long-term career commitment to research in food and agriculture and bring innovative, ground-breaking research initiatives and thinking to bear on problems facing food and agriculture.
U.S. institutions of higher education, U.S. nonprofit institutions other than institutions of higher education, and the US Department of Agriculture are invited to nominate up to two applicants for the 2017 New Innovator in Food and Agriculture Research Award.
Within the scope of the New Innovator program, investigators will have the freedom to explore new avenues of inquiry that arise during the course of their research. Therefore, FFAR is interested in the program of research to be explored and its impact as opposed to a list of very specific aims. It is expected that through this program investigators will have the ability to pursue highly creative ideas, to firmly establish their early lines of research into important food and agriculture scientific areas and provide stability in funding during their critical early career years by reducing the time spent on writing applications.
FFAR anticipates funding no more than a total of ten awards within the following Target Areas of Research:
- Optimizing Agricultural Water Use
- Transforming Soil Health
- Enhancing Sustainable Farm Animal Productivity, Resilience, and Health
- Improving Plant Efficiency
- Achieving a Deeper Understanding of Nutrition and Healthful Food Choices
- Managing Food Production Systems to Enhance Nutritional Outcomes
- Spurring Food System Innovation
Please read the full Call for Nominations before preparing your internal application.
Institutions may submit up to two nominees to the 2017 New Innovator Award program. If you are interested in being one of UGA’s two nominees, please submit an internal application according to the required internal submission instructions below.
Internal applications must include:
- A cover page listing
- The name of this funding opportunity and title of your proposal
- Nominee name, UGA position, email, department, and start date of their current tenure-track position (eligible nominees must have been hired on or after August 1, 2013 for their tenure-track position)
- The FFAR Target Area of Research in which you will be working (Optimizing Agricultural Water Use; Transforming Soil Health; Enhancing Sustainable Farm Animal Productivity, Resilience, and Health; Improving Plant Efficiency; Achieving a Deeper Understanding of Nutrition and Healthful Food Choices; Managing Food Production Systems to Enhance Nutritional Outcomes; OR Spurring Food System Innovation)
- Collaborator names, positions, and institutions
- A (maximum two-page) proposal summary
- One paragraph describing why this proposal should be UGA’s submission (i.e., why it will be the most competitive for this program)
Internal submission instructions: The above internal application materials should be submitted via email as a single .PDF file to email@example.com by the listed internal deadline. Please submit questions regarding the internal competition to Lauren Sisko at firstname.lastname@example.org.