The American Society of Ichthyologists (ASIH) and Herpetologists is currently seeking nominations for its annual professional awards program. The primary emphases of the Society are to increase knowledge about fishes, amphibians and reptiles, to disseminate that knowledge through publications, conferences, symposia, and other means, and to encourage and support young scientists who will make future advances in these fields.
The following three awards have been identified as prestigious by the National Research Council (NRC).
Deadline: March 1, 2017
Nominations (including self-nominations) are encouraged for any ichthyologist or herpetologist.
List of Awards
The Henry S. Fitch Award for Excellence in Herpetology
- Link: http://www.asih.org/membership/awards/fitch
- Summary: Nominations are solicited for the Henry S. Fitch Award for Excellence in Herpetology from the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists (ASIH). The prize is awarded to an individual for long-term excellence in the study of amphibian and/or reptile biology, based principally on the quality of the awardee’s research; consideration is also given to educational and service impacts of the individual’s career. The award is presented at the plenary session held in conjunction with the annual meeting of ASIH and includes a cash prize and certificate. Nominations are encouraged from any herpetologist and should include the nominee’s curriculum vitae and details of the nominee’s specific contributions and their impacts on herpetology.
- Nomination Instructions: Nominations, including self-nominations, should be submitted by 1 March 2017. Nominations will be effective for three years. The nomination should be emailed to Dr. Jonathan Campbell (firstname.lastname@example.org) or to the ASIH Secretary, Prosanta Chakrabarty (ASIHsec@outlook.com).
Robert H. Gibbs, Jr. Memorial Award for Excellence in Systematic Ichthyology
- Link: http://www.asih.org/membership/awards/gibbs
- Summary: The American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists (ASIH) solicits nominations for the Robert H. Gibbs Jr. Memorial Award for Excellence in Systematic Ichthyology. The prize is awarded for “an outstanding body of published work in systematic ichthyology” to a citizen of a Western Hemisphere nation who has not received the award previously. The award is offered annually and consists of a plaque and a cash award (approximately $5000). In 2017, the Society will present the award during the plenary session at the Joint Meeting of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists in Austin,Texas during the 97th Meeting of the ASIH. Nominations may be made by any ichthyologist, including self-nominations, and should include the nominee’s curriculum vitae and well as a cover letter from the nominator detailing the nominee’s specific contributions to and impacts on systematic ichthyology. Up to three supporting letters may also be included in the nomination packet.
- Nomination Instructions: Nominations for 2017 should be sent to Dr. Carole Baldwin, Chair of the 2017 Gibbs Committee, email@example.com or to Secretary Prosanta Chakrabarty, ASIHsec@outlook.com. Electronic submissions in PDF, DOC or DOCX format are required.
Robert K. Johnson Award for Excellence in Service
- Link: http://www.asih.org/membership/awards/johnson
- Summary: Nominations are solicited for the Robert K. Johnson Award. In 2017, the award will be presented to a herpetologist. The ASIH created the award to recognize members that perform exceptional service for the ASIH in memory of Bob Johnson whose service was exemplary. Bob served on many ASIH committees, four terms as a member of the Board of Governors, as managing editor of Copeia, Secretary, and Chair of the Long Range Planning and Policy Committee. As chair of the Long Range Planning and Policy Committee, he developed a policy and procedures manual for the ASIH that has proved to be an exceptionally useful document. Bob’s committee was inspired by his commitment to this task, which codified the activities of ASIH.
- Nomination Instructions: Nominations may be made by any ichthyologist or herpetologist and should include the nominee’s curriculum vitae and details of the nominee’s specific service contributions to the ASIH. Nominations, including self-nominations, should be submitted by 1 March 2017 for the nominee to be eligible for that year’s award. Nominations will be effective for three years. Email nominations to the Chair of the 2017 Johnson Award Committee, Steven Beaupre (firstname.lastname@example.org), or to the ASIH Secretary, Prosanta Chakrabarty (ASIHsec@outlook.com).
If you require assistance with assembling an application for any of these awards, please contact Lauren Sisko in the Office of Research at email@example.com.