2020 SBIR Virtual Weeks
The 2020 Regional SBIR Weeks are virtual, collaborative outreach efforts connecting entrepreneurs working on advanced technologies to the country’s largest source of early stage funding – the SBIR/STTR programs. Also known as America’s Seed Fund, the SBIR/STTR programs provide over $3.7 billion in funding to small businesses each year in a wide variety of technology areas. Each virtual event, hosted by a local organization, will provide attendees with an opportunity to hear directly from the participating federal agency program managers that administer over 5,500 new awards annually and to meet virtually one-on-one with program decision makers.
The SBIR Virtual Week provides an excellent opportunity for small businesses, innovators, researchers, entrepreneurs and technology companies to connect directly with SBIR/STTR program managers representing more than a dozen different federal agencies. Program managers from the participating federal agencies will conduct one-on-one meetings with small businesses, take part in targeted panels, discuss technology areas, and share insights into how the agencies make funding decisions.
Day 1: Monday, September 14, 2020, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.: Panel discussions and presentations
Day 2: Thursday, September 17, 2020, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.: One-on-one meetings with national SBIR program managers
Registration is now closed. A $20 deposit for registration was required and will be refunded after the event.
Agendas & Schedules
Monday, September 14
|8:45 – 9:00 a.m.||Sign into virtual lobby|
|9:00 – 9:15 a.m.||Welcome remarks & introduction to U.S. Small Business Administration|
|9:15 – 10:00 a.m.||Getting Started with SBIR/STTR|
|10:00 – 10:15 a.m.||Break|
|10:15 – 11:00 a.m.||Inside the Head of an Evaluator: Common Mistakes|
|11:00 – 11:15 a.m.||Break|
|11:15 – 12:00 p.m.||Success in Phase I – Moving to Phase 11 and Beyond|
|12:00 – 12:15 p.m.||Break|
|12:15 – 1:00 p.m.||U.S. Patent and Trademark Office|
|1:00 – 1:15 p.m.||Break|
|1:15 – 2:00 p.m.||Federal Laboratory Consortium|
Thursday, September 17
|9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.||One-one-One sessions with SBIR/STTR program managers|
* Agenda subject to change.
- Defense Health Agency (DHA)
- Defense Logistics Agency (DLA)
- Department of Defense – Army SBIR
- Department of Defense – Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
- Department of Defense – Joint Science and Technology Office for Chemical and Biological Defense (JSTO-CBD)
- Department of Defense – Missile Defense Agency (MDA)
- Department of Defense – Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD SBIR)
- Department of Defense – Navy (DON)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Department of Transportation (DOT)
- Department of Education (DoED)
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
One-on-One Meeting Request Process
Registration for the one-on-one meeting request process will open on Friday, July 31. Conference registrants will receive a unique link allowing them direct access to the SBA scheduler system to select meetings. Registrants should add firstname.lastname@example.org to their safe e-mail sender list to ensure that communications are not filtered into spam or junk. Each registrant can select up to three meetings per company. The meeting schedule will be confirmed a week prior to the road tour event. The deadline to select meetings is 10:00 a.m. EDT on Thursday, Sept. 10.
All meeting participants are required to complete the following quad chart: The quad chart, also known as the SBIR elevator pitch, is designed to offer a brief introduction to your technology and capture the attention of your audience.
Conference registrants should receive an e-mail from email@example.com within two weeks of registering to select their one-on-one meetings.
Innovation Gateway will host a pre-event virtual SBIR/STTR workshop at 11:00 a.m. EDT on Friday, Sept. 11 to help attendees prepare for their one-on-one meetings. Please register here.
SBIR/STTR Resources & Tutorials
To help prepare for the one-on-one meetings, attendees are encouraged to go through the following training:
- What is the purpose of the SBIR & STTR programs?
- Am I eligible to participate in the SBIR/STTR Programs?
- How do I find the appropriate topic?
- SBIR or STTR? Which one is right for me?
- Contracts vs Grants
- Agency Introductions
- SBA Overview
- Dos and Don’ts from DHS
- June 2018 SBIR Road Tour at Columbus, OH
- Webinar recording on SBIR Elevator Pitch Preparation presented by Dr.