2020 SBIR Road Tour
Registration is now open for the SBIR Road Tour, a national outreach effort connecting entrepreneurs working on advanced technologies to the country’s largest source of early stage funding – the SBIR/STTR programs. The SBIR Road Tour provides an excellent opportunity for small businesses, innovators, researchers, entrepreneurs and technology companies to connect directly with SBIR/STTR program managers representing more than a dozen different federal agencies. Also known as America’s Seed Fund, the SBIR/STTR programs provide over $3.7 billion in funding to small businesses each year in a wide variety of technology areas. Program managers from the participating federal agencies will conduct one-on-one meetings with small businesses, take part in targeted panels, discuss technology areas, and share insights into how the agencies make funding decisions.
Location & Date
Thursday, September 17, 2020
7:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
The Classic Center
300 N Thomas Street
Athens, GA 30601
$20 registration fee includes light breakfast and a boxed lunch. https://t.uga.edu/5Il
Agenda & Schedule
7:30 – 8:30 a.m. Registration, Breakfast, and Networking
8:30 – 1:00 p.m SBIR/STTR Federal Agency Presentations and Panel Sessions
8:30 – 8:45 a.m. Welcome Remarks
8:45 – 9:25 a.m. America’s Seed Fund – SBIR/STTR Overview, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
9:00 – 1:00 p.m. One-on-One Meetings*
9:25 – 9:40 a.m. Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC)
9:40 – 10:35 a.m. Reverse Pitches – 5 Minute Agency Elevator Pitch
10:35 – 11:15 a.m. Flexible Funding Opportunities: The Granting Agencies
11:15 – 11:35 a.m. U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
11:35 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. Surprising Opportunities with DoD and NASA
12:15 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Inside the Head of an Elevator: Common Mistakes
1:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. Working Lunch
1:15 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. SBIR/STTR Success Stories Panel
*One-on-One sessions run concurrently with agency presentations and panels. Agenda subject to change.
- Department of Defense – Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
- Department of Defense – Missile Defense Agency (MDA)
- Department of Defense – Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD SBIR/STTR)
- Department of Defense – Marine Corps Systems Command (MARCOR)
- Department of Defense – Navy (DON)
- Department of Defense – U.S. Air Force (USAF)
- Department of Defense – Special Operations Command (SOCOM)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- U.S Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
One-on-One Meeting Request Process
Registration for the one-on-one meeting request process will open on Friday, July 31. Conference registrants will receive a unique link allowing them direct access to the SBA scheduler system to select meetings. Registrants should add firstname.lastname@example.org to their safe e-mail sender list to ensure that communications are not filtered into spam or junk. Each registrant can select up to four meetings per company. The meeting schedule will be confirmed a week prior to the road tour event.
All meeting participants are required to complete the following quad chart: https://www.sbir.gov/sites/default/files/2018 Quad Chart Template.pptx The quad chart, also known as the SBIR elevator pitch, is designed to offer a brief introduction to your technology and capture the attention of your audience.
Conference registrants should receive an e-mail from email@example.com within two weeks of registering to select their one-on-one meetings.
SBIR/STTR Resources & Tutorials
To help prepare for the one-on-one meetings, attendees are encouraged to go through the following training:
- What is the purpose of the SBIR & STTR programs?
- Am I eligible to participate in the SBIR/STTR Programs?
- How do I find the appropriate topic?
- SBIR or STTR? Which one is right for me?
- Contracts vs Grants
- Agency Introductions
- SBA Overview
- Dos and Don’ts from DHS
- June 2018 SBIR Road Tour at Columbus, OH
- Webinar recording on SBIR Elevator Pitch Preparation presented by Dr.