The Technology Commercialization Office (TCO)
The Technology Commercialization Office (TCO)serves the UGA community by connecting industry with university expertise and inventions for the public good, promoting economic development and increasing research visibility. The University of Georgia Research Foundation (UGARF) administers all intellectual property at The University of Georgia.
- Evaluating inventions for patentability and commercial potential
- Facilitating the acquisition of intellectual property protection (patents, trademarks, plant variety protection certificates, copyrights, or trademarks) on university inventions
- Marketing technology to commercial companies identified as the most likely to bring the technology to public use
- Negotiating license agreements in a manner that will bring a reasonable financial return to UGARF
- Receiving and distributing license income
- Maintaining active patents
Additionally, TCO supports faculty with negotiation of material transfer agreements, confidentiality agreements, and other contracts governing university technology.
Intellectual Property Policy
All intellectual property at The University of Georgia (UGA) is administered through the University of Georgia Research Foundation, Inc. (UGARF) in accordance with the UGA Intellectual Property Policy, the Intellectual Property Administration Agreement, and the University System of Georgia Board of Regents Policy on Intellectual Properties. An agreement with the Georgia Seed Development Commission has established guidelines for the commercialization of new plant cultivars developed at the Georgia Agricultural Experiment Stations.